Pages

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Book Review - The Grown-Up Girl's Guide to Style vs How to Never Look Fat Again

I always have to have at LEAST one book to read. Normally I have more than one book started. I often have a novel for play and a "grown up" book to try to learn something. I think I have 6 books started right now?

Two or more on baby's first year, two on fashion, a stay at home mom book, and a diet recipe book. I also have several body after baby books and a few novels waiting in the wings.

I am by no means a professional but I have been reading since first grade and I spent many nights as a kid hiding my flashlight under a blanket reading until 3 am when I was told to go to bed at 10 pm. (I could get away with it in the summer, but in the winter my light reflected off the snow outside my window and my dad whose room was above mine would see the light and bust me.)

Let's compare the two fashion books I am reading right now.

"The Grown-Up Girl's Guide to Style" by Christine Schwab vs "How to Never Look Fat Again" by Charla Krupp

I started reading The Grown-Up Girl's Guide to Style a couple weeks ago. I had trouble getting into it and put it down. 

I took it up again a couple days ago and was able to get into it (with skipping through). I think that this was definitely a borrow from the library read rather than a buy. I had trouble with the fact that it seemed like the author was saying if it doesn't look perfect cover it. (In the section on necks, she tells the reader to examine their neck closely and "if it looks wrinkled cover it". and similarly in a section on shoes she writes "Don't expose a foot that has broken veins, calluses, bunions, or squished or twisted toes. Leave the sandals on the shelf and buy a covered shoe.") If you are confident with your body as it is and you are just looking for tips on what to use to work around your "problem areas" then it might be fine. It might also be a helpful read if you aren't confident with your "problem areas" and you want to know how to cover them. I don't think it is right to make people feel as though they NEED to cover up what isn't perfect before going out in public. No one is perfect and no one should be made to feel like they need to be! (For more on body issues check out Sal at Already Pretty!)

This book contained sections on skin, health, mind, and makeup as well but I must admit that I skipped over a lot of that. I love fashion most the rest of it less. (Hey, I'm being honest here.)

I can't say I didn't learn anything from this book because I always learn something. There were some good tips and tricks. I just didn't agree with the way the author went about some of the writing.

Grading: So So... Read again-No... Buy-Definitely not


I really enjoyed the "How to Never Look Fat Again" book (and I haven't even finished it!). This is a book that I would recommend checking out from the library or even purchasing.

Love: Images of a "High Fat" outfit vs a "No Fat" outfit on the same person (REAL PEOPLE not skinny models)

Like: Specifics for each body part
          What to have in your closet to magnify your assets
          What to avoid to look "No Fat"
           More extreme options than clothing for a person who might be interested.
           Etc....

This book gives good examples and explanations for what it is talking about. It shows good comparisons in the images that it uses. This book has given me a lot to think about during my next closet cleaning. This book is something to refer to again and again when you are looking at the new trends coming out or when you are looking to add to your wardrobe. Are you unsure what is the best denim for your body? Are you interested in making your arms look thinner? Do you want to make your "badonkadonk" look smaller? Do you have too much bust for the average clothing? Other problems this book addresses: wide face, thick neck, broad shoulders, arm flap, big bust, muffin top, back fat, buddha belly, wide hips & thighs, big booty, heavy calves, and wide feet & ankles.

I haven't even gotten farther than the big booty and I am in love.

More things addressed in this book: Summer clothing, winter clothing, workout wear, the evening, and an overall view.

Do any of these things apply to you? I don't think any of us can say that we don't identify with at least ONE of these areas. I know that I have been impressed with the information and educated on arm flap, big bust, muffin top, back fat, buddha belly, AND wide thighs. I can't WAIT to see what they say about wide feet. And summer AND winter. More please!

I love that "How to Never Look Fat Again" reinforced a lot of things that I "just knew" with reasons for why an item or outfit is or isn't good for someone's body type and added to my knowledge and understanding of different body shapes and issues. I like how the book gives specific ideas for petites and size 14 and up.

Grading: Liked A Lot... Read Again- Probably... Buy- Possibly-Probably

I know that I am not the target market for The Grown-Up Girl's Guide to Style but I like to read books for two reasons: to learn and to get away from everyday life. I think I have read almost every fashion book that my local libraries have to offer. (I will have to start requesting them online from other Minnesota libraries as I don't plan to buy them. Especially without seeing them first.)

I would LOVE to work as a personal shopper or something similar in the fashion industry at some point and reading these books gives me more knowledge towards that goal.

Do you have any fashion books that you love and can't live without? Please tell me so I can look into them!

1 comment:

Melanie said...

Cover anything that's not perfect? LMAO...how would any of us recognize each other in full coverage garbage bags/masks? Nuts.