Pages

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

DIY - Plain Jane Jacket to Ombre Awesomeness

I used to wear this jacket from time to time but I never felt the love for it. I decided it was time to try to spice it up before I threw it out as I like the way it fits me. Girls with a large chest can have a difficult time finding jackets that fit well.

I threw it in a bucket of steaming hot water and some navy blue dye.

I stirred it up a few times, made sure it was set up, and left it sit.

Later that night, when I realized it was still in the dye, I took it out, rinsed it good, and threw it in the washer.

In an effort to keep the size and shape, I hung the jacket to dry and in the morning, this is what I had.


I wish that it was a little more ombre. It looked a little better before I washed it. There was more of an ombre effect from the dye bleeding up the fabric. It was also a little more striking before washing. The oatmeal color at the top of the jacket was cleaner looking than the blue that is there after it was washed.

What do you think?

1 comment:

Darlene C. said...

I'd like to see it on for a better comparison. And I have to admit, I had to look up the word "ombre"!

Did you get this idea from the February issue of Lucky Magazine?

I'm so impressed.

P.S. Of course I want to know where you found a good-fitting jacket!